YOUR CHILD'S FIRST VISIT TO THE DENTIST, HOW TO MAKE IT A SUCCESSFUL ONE!
Posted by Torrey Hills Family Dentistry Oct 11, 2006
At Torrey Hills Family Dentistry, we are well trained and equipped to make your kids dental visit a successful one. Using a show and tell approach, we explain what we are doing in words that fit a child's vocabulary, e.g. the X-ray machine is a camera and the drill is a special toothbrush that whistles and squirts water.
I love going to the dentist!!!
Children will not fear dental treatment unless they have had a bad experience or learn it from someone. What parents say and do can help children have a better experience during their dental visit.
Your contribution towards your child's successful dental visit is very important, here are some helpful hints:
First Visit "Do's"
- Familiarize your child with the dental office. Take your toddler along when someone else in the family is going for a dental check-up.
- Play "dentist". Count your child's teeth as you shine a light on them. Then switch roles and let your child play dentist.
- Read to your child a book about going to the dentist for the first time.
- Before the appointment, tell the dentist about your child, including any special needs or medical problems .
- Make the appointment on a day and time when the child is not tired.
- Be low-key. Treat the visit as routine. Answer any questions the child asks honestly but not too specifically.
- Allow plenty of time for getting ready on the day of the appointment so as not to rush the child.
- Let the dentist decide whether you should stay in the room with your child. Some children respond better without their parents present.
First Visit "Don'ts"
- Don't make the visit the high point of the day. Your child will suspect that something is up.
- Avoid using bribery and threats in an attempt to encourage good behavior.
- Try not to be anxious about the visit. Don't communicate your own fears to the child.
- Avoid saying negative words like pain, hurt, pull, or drill.
- Don't try to describe exactly what will happen. The dentist has special words and ways to explain the procedures to the child.
- Don't make the dentist the villain. Dental care is something your child should look forward to.
As always, our office welcomes visitors who want to meet with us , tour our facility or ask questions.
Br Bouzida has successfuly treated children with a history of uncooperative behavior, her methods are proven very effective.
Here at Torrey Hills Family Dentistry, we strive to deliver the highest level of care in a genuinely caring and relaxing atmosphere.
Please take advantage of this special offer: $75 Child Cleaning , Necessary Xrays and Exam.